SA Talent Search changes sponsors from Renault to Sunglass Hut with R85,000 worth of Prizes for 2015!
Last year, the SAFW Sunglass Hut New Talent Search embarked on a new journey – the search for A NEW POINT OF VIEW. Globalisation, the Great Recession and digitisation have all contributed to a tipping point in fashion retail, where the ubiquitous nature of fast fashion has made prescriptive fashion trends redundant. To recap on last year’s competition brief commentary: ‘the fashion industry finds itself trapped in a creative cul-‐de-‐sac”. Change is in the air: it is palpable on so many levels. So it is with this thought in mind that we look to evolve this year’s competition brief.
Individualism is a growing mega trend – identified by authors Georg Vielmetter & Yvonne Sell in their book Leadership 2030, and we would like to find someone that can lead the fashion pack, not follow it.
Individualism (as a mega trend) has altered a number of industries already. With cell phones, we no longer call the place, but rather call the person. In terms of music, we can buy one track rather than an entire album. On social media platforms like twitter, we now know that one opinion can make a difference, and that musicians – who have fan bases around the 60 to 80 million mark – can be reached directly, and instantaneously, by each of their fans. In fashion media, bloggers have altered the role and voice of authority of the fashion editor, who now curates rather than dictates.
It is time to show us, not only a new point of view, but also a very individual point of view.
As with last year’s competition, we are looking for a very strong but also unique handwriting. While we like “bold”, we aren’t simply looking for theatre, but a contemporary wardrobe that appeals to a modern woman’s lifestyle.
As always the New Talent Search is a chance for established and emerging designers to really show us who they are. At this level, it is not about proving you can design. That is a given. But how you flex your creative muscle while still retaining a commercial appeal is a fine balance that few designers achieve. It is a very delicate balance, but the judges will know it when they see it. Are you ready to show us your individuality?
What’s at Stake:
- A trip to London Fashion Week in February 2016 valued at R 50, 000. 00. Sunglass Hut will provide the winner with: one return ticket, accommodation, transfers, show tickets and exhibitions (please note only one person per label will be accommodated).
- Representation by The Fashion Agent for 1 year valued at R 11, 400.00
- The winner will get the opportunity to show a satellite Collection as part of a 4 designerpackage at the SA Fashion Week (SAFW) Spring/Summer 2016 season – 6 months after
the SAFW New Talent Search to the value of R 12, 500.00
- All finalists will be granted access to the Buyers Lounge – Autumn/Winter 2016 (24 & 26October 2015) – not to sell but to engage with buyers and conduct market research for
their own brands during the two days to the value of R 3, 420.00
- The winner will receive once free stand at the SAFW Pop Up Shop 2016 in Brooklyn Mallto the value of R 6, 000.00
- Total value of prize: ± R 85, 000. 00
Click HERE, to findout how to register & download the entry form. The deadline for submission is the 17th of July, 2015. Goodluck!